The FLEXspace Initiative
The Flexible Learning Environments eXchange – FLEXspace – is a robust, open access repository populated with examples of learning spaces. It contains high resolution images and related information that describes detailed attributes of these spaces from institutions across the globe.
The incentive for participation is to showcase innovative design solutions open to peer review ranking and comments. As more contributions are received, the repository will emerge into a very useful planning resource for education and supporting entities at multiple levels.
Our Core Team
The Core Team has been active since early 2012 in working to envision a sustainable FLEXspace resource for the global higher education community.
You can email us at email@example.com. But the best way to connect with the FLEXspace Core Team is to reach out to the member most closely aligned with your interests. Click the member’s name for their bio.
Core Team Coordinators
Core Team Members
Director, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative
Gerard L. Hanley
Sr. Director, Academic Technology Services
California State University, Office of the Chancellor
Associate Director, Office of Academic Technology
University of Florida
Joseph A. Moreau
CTO & Vice Chancellor, Technology
Foothill-DeAnza Community College District
Director, Ctr. for Professional Development
SUNY System Administration
Technical Services Coordinator
SUNY College at Cortland
Director, Academic Technologies
Iowa State University of Science and Technology
James P. Frazee
Senior Academic Technology Officer
San Diego State University
The following organizations have contributed significant resources in terms of professional time, advisement, energy and/or funding support:
Foundational Working Groups
A/V Integration Team
Team is tasked with reviewing and modifying existing audio-video taxonomy to ensure that classroom media and A/V integration fields are properly separated from facilities fields, and that all baseline information is correct.
Facilities Integration Team
The Facilities Integration Team is tasked with reviewing and modifying existing facilities and construction taxonomy fields to ensure that descriptions are properly separated from A/V integration fields, and that all baseline information is correct.
Learning Spaces Typology & Assessment Team
The Learning Spaces Typology & Assessment Team is tasked with creating and modifying existing learning space classifications and related fields to ensure a common understanding of space descriptions. This team will also develop an assessment method (or rubrics) to measure the pedagogical effectiveness of the learning space type.
Peer Review Team
The Peer Review Team is tasked with adapting the MERLOT boilerplate material and methods of Open Access peer review to the FLEXspace collection. This includes development of policy and licensing guidelines, and API exploration to share data between content systems.
The Sponsorship Team is tasked with development and outreach to potential sponsors to establish long term service support. This team will coordinate closely with the Governance Team, and also draft a marketing and communications plan.
The Governance Team is tasked with drafting Bylaws and developing the core team transition plan. It includes identification of legal necessities (contracts), integrates sponsorship recommendations into guiding documents and assists with marketing and communications planning.
Taxonomy Review & Contributors
- Clare van den Blink – Cornell University (Core Lead)
- Doug Willen – Swarthmore College
- Joan Lippincott – Coalition Network Info.
- Linda Kendall Knox – University of Michigan
- Dana Gierdowski – North Carolina State University
- Brad Snyder – SUNY Cortland (Core Lead)
- Charles Minihan – Emory University
- Beth Fellendorf – University at Buffalo
- Lori Swinney – University of North Dakota
- Mark McCallister – University of Florida
- John Pfeffer – University at at Buffalo
- Jim Twetten – Iowa State University
- Laurie Yarnes – University at Buffalo
- Terry Calhoun – SCUP (Core Lead)
- Claire Turcotte – SCUP
- Ira Fink – Ira Fink and Associates
- Persis Rickes – Rickes Associates Inc.
- Shirley Dugdale – Dugdale Strategy, LLC
- Scott Shader – University of Mass Med School – Worcester
- Valarie Avalone – Monroe Community College (SUNY)
- Daniel K.Paulien – Paulien & Associates, Inc.
- Fran Gast – RI School Design (RISD) Ret.
- Ludmilla Pavlova-Gillham – University of Mass – Amherst
- Lennie Scott-Webber – Steelcase Inc.
- Michael Hites – University of Illinois
- SUNY FACT2 Learning Environments Task Group – (2011)
- David Lavallee, SUNY Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost, (Sponsor)
- Joseph Moreau, Chief Technology Officer, Oswego, Chair
- Lisa Stephens, Associate Director of Academic Services, University at Buffalo (FACT2 Chair)
- Joan Getman, Sr. Strategist for Learning Technologies, Cornell
- Greg Bronson, Project Lead, Cornell
- Graham Glynn, Assistant Provost, Stony Brook
- Wayne Jones, Chemistry Department Chair, Binghamton
- Mark McBride, Instructional Support, Buffalo State College